Saturday, September 8, 2018

Peek-a-Boo Cards




Still playing with apples and the AAA Cards sketch! I wanted to try a different take, this time using a diecut technique. With my MISTI, I stamped the image twice using Versafine onyx ink, once on the front and then on the inside. The great thing about the MISTI is that I know the image will be in the same spot on both sides of the card. That is, as long as the inked-up stamp stays in place when the MISTI is closed. This particular stamp was once a rubber stamp, which I had removed from its wood block, delaminated, and treated with a tacky glue so it could be used like a clear stamp. 



Unfortunately, the tacky glue wasn't as tacky as it once had been. After several attempts to stamp during which the stamp fell off and made a near-perfect impression on a spot where I didn't want it, I figured out that I could carefully close the MISTI back-to-front, very slowly, and hit the right spot. I used one of the mistakes to practice my watercoloring. It actually turned out kind of artsy looking, in spite of my ineptness, don't you think?

Next, I diecut a small circle in the top card, then colored only the inside image with colored pencils. The result is that you see the image with color in the center fading to black and white on the outside. The images do line up; it's difficult to tell by the photo without the card being completely flattened. 

Before adding the sentiment, I did a partial emboss on the front using an embossing folder with my Big Kick, to give it texture.


I made a second card using the same technique with black, white and one other color for the current Less Is More challenge.




I've been anxious to try out this cute stamp from Gerta Steiner that I've had all summer. This seemed the perfect challenge! Once again, I stamped both front and inside with Versafine then heat embossed with clear powder. This time I colored the image with alcohol markers. For texture, I ran the front cover through my Big Shot with an embossing folder from Stampin' Up, Softly Falling.



For a little bling, I added a bit of glitter pen to his hat and nose.


Just to show that I really can read directions, I made this design with the white space non-textured for the AAA challenge:


Thanks for stopping by!

 

11 comments:

  1. Great card! I love your flexible design and the Penguin is a delight. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great technique! I love both cards that you created with it. The partial embossing on the first looks wonderful, and your watercoloring is so well done. Thanks so much for joining us at Addicted to CAS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that penguin is just adorable! Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two gorgeous cards ! Love both of them and the technique you used. This little penguin is really adorable with his red hat. A beautiful take on our challenge. Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at Less is More.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely cards great technique love the apple card. Thanks for playing along with us over at ATCAS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. Love the little peek hole. Thank you for sharing with us at AAA Cards. =) Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great little technique, it's like spotlighting in reverse, I must try it. I so need that penguin image, love it every time I see it. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita! I know, I have a thing about penguins, too :)

      Delete
  8. Both wonderful peek-a-boo cards, Kathy! This is on my to try list. That penguin is adorable and the punny sentiment is perfect. The embossed snowfall gives it beautiful texture. Thank you for joining us at Less is More. Trina x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!