Monday, August 14, 2017

Rainbow Maker Day 1


Someday soon I will go back and try to re-create Laura Fadora's rainbow grid card, but for now, this is my take. It did not turn out anything like hers (maybe I should have watched the video again!) but I kind of liked the way the distress oxide inks ended up looking like watercoloring. I added some dry embossing to give it texture in the absence of the grid pattern, and sprayed it lightly with shimmer. Last, I added a few liquid crystal drops. I find I'm getting spoiled and really don't like using my older rubber stamps, but they do the trick!

Rainbow Maker Day 2


Still going backwards and catching up with the Online Card Class from last week. I was a little daunted by Jennifer McGuire's card at first, since measurements were involved (!) but it was amazingly simple. I used a combination of Gina K and Stampin Up inks to get the rainbow colors, and since I didn't have a stamp large enough to fill up the center, I decided to hand letter with a rough, old-style look to match the scribbly hearts. This card was fun and really, really fast despite measuring and penciling grid lines!

Friday, August 11, 2017

Rainbow Maker Day 4

This might be my favorite card in the class so far! I used shimmer watercolors to make the background like Kristina's, which I used on the card below. Then I cut out the letters using CZ Design's Everett Alphabet, cut the birthday die on shimmer paper, and added a sequin to dot the letter i. Love the way it turned out on the black cardstock!

This card was made with the rainbow background of shimmer watercolors. I learned that, even with a magnetic cutting pad, I need to tape the letters down to keep them in line. But, no worries! I added the balloons to give the impression that they were trying to push my wayward "h" out of place. Nice save, right? For a bit of bling I added liquid crystal drops and dusted them with ultra fine glitter.

 

RAINBOW MAKER CLASS: DAY 3

I had a lot of fun with Cathy Zielske's die cutting lesson, a nice break from inking practice in the previous lessons (which I haven't finished yet; going backwards). 

Since I have a set of eight circle Framelit dies from Sizzix, I used those to make eight sets of circles in eight different colors. Then, I challenged myself to make eight rainbow circles, each one using all the colors. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Believe me, it was kind of like math, i.e., not readily apparent to me.

After several tries I figured out a system of alternating colors that was so simple I can't think of an excuse for not knowing how to do it in the first place. But, hey, I finished four birthday cards fairly quickly. A big help was using Stick-It sheets to keep the rings in place.






Sunday, August 6, 2017

Pre-Rainbow Play


Excited about tomorrow's first Rainbow Maker class at Online Card Classes! 

I also couldn't wait to use my new Everett Alphabet dies from Cathy Zielske, so as soon as I had them snipped apart, mounted on a magnet sheet, and filed in my die binder, I took them out and made this card.

Used distress oxide inks for the background, running it through my Big Kick with an embossing folder for some texture. Then, because they're distress oxides I could t resist a spritz, this time of shimmer spray, before mounting the letters and sentiment.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

A Little Precision Measurement is a Good Thing

A few weeks ago while hopping through Altenew's blog I saw a video by Jennifer McGuire on three ways to use alphabet dies featuring the Modern Cats stamp set. When I saw what she did with it, I knew I had to have that set! 

Fast forward to last week when I had the time to try my hand at her awesome card design. One disadvantage I had was that I do not (yet) own the alphabet die set she used, but I had a plan: my Cricut Explore Air. Fast forward to at least one extra day of fiddling with the Cricut, after which I finally figured out how to size, space, and cut the letters "meow." I cut three sets of each like Jennifer did, to glue together for the letters to stand out, with the expectation that the final, top set would be cut from the stamped cat. Two sets, actually, because like Jennifer, I was going to make one card in ivory with the cat and letters stamped on white, and one card in white with the cat and letters stamped on ivory. Excitedly, I stamped my cats on both white and ivory then rolled them into the Cricut for cutting. As I positioned each letter onto their respective stacked letters, however, I noticed a revolting development: they didn't match up. 

After back-tracking through each step of my CASE process I realized that the sizes of the white and ivory papers used for the stamping were different. Well, I kind of knew that but I didn't think it would make much difference. It did. Of course it did. A couple millimeters kept the stamped images from lining up on the right letters. 

Maybe I'll try Jennifer's exact design again, but in the meantime, I went ahead and used the letters on matching rather than contrasting cardstock You know, it's such a great design I think it still looks cool!
  
Fly It Like Winnie

Had to play along with the CASology 5-Year Anniversary Balloon Blog Hop and get a chance to win one of their many amazing prizes! With Winnie-the-Pooh as my inspiration, I stamped the bear and balloon from Lawn Fawn's Party Animal stamp set and matching dies. I colored them in with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers, and popped them up with foam tape. Next I used Distress Oxide inks on a background cut with my Cottage Cutz stitched rectangle die, and mounted that on another background embossed with a Cuttlebug embossing folder. I stamped the sentiment from the same set on black cardstock with white Hero Arts embossing powder. For a little bling I used a couple of red sequins and a diamond from my stash. I'm in love with this little bear!
  Grab our badge!